Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Post #5:North Korea's Rocket Launch

On April 5,2009,North Korea launched a rocket which it announced was carrying a satellite, despite international appealled not to go ahead with the launch.This news was almost on every newspaper's front page.

US, South Korea, Japan had made it very clear that if North Korea really launched the rocket, they would punish it jointly.Their navy vessels even deployed off the North Korean coast and equipped with sophisticated radar and anti-missile weaponry.So why does North Korea so firmly insist in launching the rocket regardless the risk of being attacked internationally? After reading through some news websites, I get the universal agreed answer.

North Korea's attempt to put an object into the orbit is its way to communicate with other countries that it has developed the independent capability of launching its own satellite,the capability of the ballistic missile, it's trying to tell the whole world that North Korea,which other coutries think about as an impoverished country, hidden behind one of the last Cold War frontiers, has become strong enough to become a member of a very exclusive club, has become strong enough to get the respect and fear from other coutries.

It's a diplomatic game,it's a kind of costly political nonverbal communication which has actually been used by many countries.Even though the launch was said to be a failure,but it really spoke out what it wanted to say.The North Korean media even praised Kim Jong-il’s leadership, saying that a communications satellite was circling the Earth, broadcasting patriotic songs.

However, while the North Korea government spent such a huge amount of money in preparing this political launch, there were thousands of its people struggling with hunger and poverty.What if its government spent those money in helping improve its people's living standard, helping educate its people instead? Will it do better to make North Korea stronger than the political communication?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Zhang Xuan,

    I am Annie from Group 4 and just popped by because your title sounds intriguing. It's not just North Korea, the whole of diplomacy is a illogical game. The first thing I learnt in PS1101, Introduction to Political Science is that international relations is anarchy.

    This is my take on your questions. A country has limited resources and if it is a hermit kingdom and not focused on development, it would have fewer resources. The North Korean government only has enough resources to let Kim Jong-il and his cronies live a life of luxury and fund the world 4th largest millitary (wiki). If the resources were spread fairly amongst it's vast population, it would just be another poor developing country with no power on the world stage, living standards will improve by only a little. If I were the leader, I would chose a life of luxury and internation recognition.

    Personally, despite the outrageous behaviour of North Korea this time, I still prefer a gentle policy towards them. President Obama promised change and I don't believe he will start his term causing a war in North Asia. An eye for an eye just doesn't cut it when it affects so many lives... In short, political communication still has to be mild. In real life, an analogy would be a screaming match between 2 parties. One party must calm down and reason or you will never get anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, North Korea. What an interesting case for a 21st century nation, and what a provocative post, Vikki. You're right: some serious national posturing, nonverbal and verbal, by NK just to make a point. Seems it's all **ego** in the leadership there, with a bit of paranoia thrown in for kicks. My question is how can anyone take KJI seriously? But then of course, I wondered the same thing about George Bush. And look at how his communication style caused so many misunderstandings.

    Do you think most Chinese see KJI as a problem, or what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Vikki! That was actually me commenting last night on this post, but my daughter had not signed out from her account, so it's listed as Billie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billie or Brad:

    Hi.

    When I saw your comment, my first thought was:"wow, I am so lucky to get the comment from two strangers from other groups." And the comment is precise and insightful.

    But it turned out to be you, I am kind of disappointed.

    Haha, I am just kidding. Thank you for your comment, Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie Ang:

    Hi, knowledgeable stranger.

    You can't imagine how surprised and happy I was when I saw your comment on my post. You are the first one from other group who commented on my post. Here, I really want to say thank you and I am really impressed by your personal perspective.

    Now, it is the end of the semester, many assignments and projects are due in this period, so I don't have enough time to appreciate your blog posts. But when I am free, I will do it.

    Maybe we can become blog buddy.

    Good Night!

    ReplyDelete